Matt Black is a director, image-maker and old friend born in Paris, now based in NYC, who has been crafting images on the streets, for high fashion, in film and for some of our favorite publications in the world for decades. He’s presenting Something Black, his first solo show, in the gallery space at Ace Hotel New York through January 5. The exhibition is a visually arresting collection of his work exploring American iconography, and features nine new original pieces including a collaboration with tattoo artist Mike Rubendall. A limited selection of prints are available at Ace Hotel New York and on our online shop.
Matt grew up in Paris and became inspired at a young age by American culture, moving to New York City in 1998. His style fuses the cinematics of high fashion with the urgency of street art. He’s directed short films with the like of Paz de la Huerta and Rinko Kikuchi, and has created work for Dior, Louis Vuitton, Jil Sander, Porter and Joseph. He also shot our Beams Japan x Wings + Horns boxing collection at Gleason’s Gym in Manhattan. As the worlds of art and street culture become more intertwined, we love that Matt retains his eye for the authentic and the visionary. He shared with us a little bit about what makes him tick.
I AM WORKING MAINLY WITH A BLACK AND WHITE PALETTE. IN FLATTENING THE COLOR, I CAN FOCUS ON TEXTURE THROUGH DIFFERENT MEDIUMS, BUILDING ON CONTRAST AND TONE TO CREATE A BALANCED AND LAYERED IMAGE.
AS WE ARE NOW SO IMMERSED IN A DIGITAL AGE, I HAVE BEEN PLAYING WITH THE IDEA OF MIXING THESE DIGITALLY REORGANIZED IMAGES WITH UNTAMPERED PHOTOGRAPHS, CUTTING AND PASTING THE TWO TOGETHER IN AN ATTEMPT TO KEEP A HUMAN TOUCH AND SENSE OF ACCIDENT IN MY WORK.
I HAVE IN MY STUDIO A COLLECTION OF VARIOUS OBJECTS, BOOKS AND IMAGES, SOME OF WHICH HAVE BEEN HERE FOR A WHILE SOME OF WHICH REFLECT MY CURRENT MOOD AND INSPIRATIONS…
I LIKE THE IDEA OF CURATING MY SURROUNDING ON IMPULSE WITHIN THE GUIDELINES OF MY AESTHETIC.
I’M INSPIRED BY ARAKI NOBUYOSHI, HELMUT NEWTON, ROBERT MAPPLETHORPE, LARRY CLARK…
I HAVE TWO WAYS THAT I LIKE TO MAKE IMAGES. ONE IS SPONTANEOUS, WHERE I SIMPLY CAPTURE A MOMENT. THE OTHER IS DELIBERATE, WHERE I STAGE THE SUBJECT OR SCENE IN A FRAME I CREATE. I HAVE BEEN PLAYING WITH THE IDEA OF MIXING THE TWO TO GIVE A SENSE OF REALITY WHILE EXPLORING ICONS THAT CONTINUALLY APPEALE TO ME ON A PERSONAL LEVEL. THE LANDSCAPES AND BACKGROUNDS WORK EITHER AS STAGES OR BRIDGES TO THE REAL WORLD.
Prints top to bottom are Werewolf (with Mike Rubendall), South of No North and Totem.
- 12vapd reblogged this from acehotel
- anime-hentai likes this
- hexianhao likes this
- ymt11 reblogged this from chernova
- ymt11 likes this
- alessioguarino likes this
- somethingblackbymattblack likes this
- somethingblackbymattblack reblogged this from acehotel and added:
- authenticnovelty likes this
- blogblahs reblogged this from acehotel
- irasistible likes this
- theincredibledancinglawn reblogged this from acehotel
- theincredibledancinglawn likes this
- commablack likes this
- tinasnowle likes this
- krpayong likes this
- retumbados likes this
- 7th-phoenix likes this
- meggalifsnotables likes this
- thelimitsofmylanguage likes this
- thelimitsofmylanguage reblogged this from acehotel
- whatsworsethepainorthehangover likes this
- lawrenceoluyede likes this
- inandoutoftheblue likes this
- prettylilelephants likes this
- deaddiamonds likes this
- chernova reblogged this from acehotel and added:
- ilegalmezcal reblogged this from acehotel
- ilegalmezcal likes this
- ninawilkins likes this
- someperfectworld likes this
- minusmanhattan likes this
- acehotel posted this