Carrie Brownstein really requires no introduction. Early sightings include basement punk shows in Portland, OR with Sleater-Kinney and recent sightings include Portlandia and Wild Flag — both projects are taking off like rockets. Carrie DJs with co-pilot Fred Armisen Tuesday night for Desert Gold at Ace Hotel & Swim Club, and they’ll throw in some hijinks and group fun, so come ready.
What are some roadside attractions that have…attracted you? Along the lines of Ball of Yarn, BFI, Roswell, or any number of the lesser known or unknown pit stops or oddities along America’s shoulders?
Prairie Dog Town and Wall Drug. In the case of the former, I’d say it repulsed me more than attracted me. In fact, I am afraid to Google Prairie Dog Town because I really hope that it no longer exists. Basically, it’s an animal freak show with 5-legged cows and other oddities. It’s very squalid. In the gift shop is a pit of live snakes. The best case scenario is that one day the snakes will eat the owner. It’s a feel good movie waiting to happen, replete with an animal uprising. Wall Drug is one of those things wherein you’re beaten into submission via signage. Then you stop and it’s nothing and you move on.
If you could be any highway or US route which would you be?
I would want to be a logging road or some dusty stretch of road in the western part of the US.
If there was a highway named after you, where would it begin and end? Points between?
Probably the same answer as above, just somewhere quiet.
Who is your ideal road trip mate, living or dead?
My dog, Tobey. He has traveled with me across the country and back. He isn’t a great driver but he is easy to talk to and he lets me pick the music.
Favorite song or band to listen to on a road trip? Do you have any songs you search the dials for? Be honest.
Lately, I prefer podcasts like This American Life, Savage Love, Freakonomics Radio or Marc Maron’s WTF. I like listening to stories while I drive. If I’m listening to the radio, I’m never disappointed to stumble upon some late-night Sam Cooke or Otis Redding tunes; their songs always sound good under a starry sky.
Best unexpectedly amazing thing you’ve seen on a roadtrip.
Seeing a frozen Mississippi River is pretty surreal.
- electricband likes this
- carrie-brownstein reblogged this from sleaterflaglandia and added:
- fuckyeahfredandcarrie reblogged this from acehotel
- tenseventen likes this
- electric-pear likes this
- sleaterflaglandia reblogged this from acehotel
- breesdiverseuniverse reblogged this from acehotel
- disorganizedcrunchyfun likes this
- sunshinesounds reblogged this from drdoccubustorres
- sunshinesounds likes this
- thierrychatain likes this
- magelvs likes this
- drdoccubustorres reblogged this from velourian
- thehallofmirrors likes this
- velourian reblogged this from acehotel
- shelaloo likes this
- friar14 likes this
- babysizedknuckles reblogged this from acehotel
- noahshark likes this
- masconmilk likes this
- hibou-hibou likes this
- scannedlife likes this
- no-sort-of-fabric likes this
- thirdculturekid likes this
- monis-magical-archive likes this
- nhjojola likes this
- itspronouncedsateen reblogged this from acehotel
- youtakeparadise likes this
- blairmullally likes this
- ahngdawn reblogged this from acehotel
- acehotel posted this