Downtown Los Angeles
To help tame rising decibels deflecting along the stone-heavy length of the rooftop bar at capacity, Tanya and her crew recently installed a 40-foot tapestry of composite fiber. In its full expanse, the installation folds in on itself non-directionally amidst braids of macramé shapes, descending downward with the weight of their knots, a play of fuzzy asymmetry that naturally absorbs the compounding frequencies of voices thickening as the night arcs toward its peak.
Downstairs, another one of Tanya’s creations is allowed a freer existence. Wild swirls of dun sheep wool climbs the hall behind the front desk, spreading out and ceasing unpredictably like ivy reaching for light — a pleasing sight made even more so when we discover that the animal from which the wool was sheared bears the charming name of Mary.
Many artists struggle with function’s push against the seductive pull of form. Tanya’s work is wholly other, eradicating the boundaries altogether in the simple and enthusiastic pursuit of the new, dismissing the old rules of polite appreciation in the process. Go ahead, it’s okay to touch it. Tanya said so.
Both works will be dedicated by the Public Works Improvements Arts Program of the City of Los Angeles.
- tidome reblogged this from acehotel
- hitoshi-naito likes this
- audjpodge reblogged this from acehotel
- eatingmudd reblogged this from acehotel
- sandradi23 likes this
- sirelle likes this
- heathceramics reblogged this from acehotel
- amandaevans likes this
- ibelieveindoge likes this
- a-human-like-everybody likes this
- boiscafe likes this
- ichheisselola reblogged this from acehotel
- fomohomo likes this
- pacificbluesbaby likes this
- volver21 likes this
- marcovanlenten likes this
- etherealart reblogged this from acehotel
- etherealart likes this
- kindah likes this
- nichethemagazine likes this
- acehotel posted this